Bonesteel Trout Hall, Newport Beach, CA www.bonesteeltrouthall.com
What is your design philosophy?
We are native Californians and we therefore our style is dictated by the clean, earthy, colorful textures of the California coast.
Who is your design inspiration?
Our design inspirations are designers who have fun and do not take themselves too seriously: Jonathan Adler, Tim Clarke, Molly Leutkemeyer, Darra Baker.
What is something people many not know about your firm?
We have projects all over the world.
Best Design Tips you have learned from experience?
Odd numbers are better than pairs. You don't need every pattern, color and fabric to match perfectly. Mix styles and periods. Almost every piece in the room should be able to stand alone. If you have a room with many good pieces in it you can mix pieces that aren't quite as worthy.
What are your favorite design books?
Beta Plus Books and anything by Christian Liagre.
What is your favorite part of a home to design and why?
Our favorite part of a home to design is the Living Room because you can just go all out; it is somewhat of a fantasy room because it is not used everyday, therefore you don't have to be as practical. (And the budgets are always the best in the house!)
Our six favorite light fixtures are:
• The Melissa sconce - our all time favorite sconce. The long and skinny design always makes the space seem elegant. We love the fact that it comes in two sizes and you an change the look with shades or finishes so easily as well.
• The Bit sconce - it is just so chic!!! Small and pretty. Use two and it is like a really chic pair of earrings.
• The Carlyn - it makes such a clean, modern statement. We love to use it over pool tables.
• Sprig - the versatility in the finishes make it a statement fixture in a contemporary setting.
• The Wallis - for its scale, it is an uncommonly huge floor lamp and we love that.
• The Alexander - it adds such a fun architectural element to a room, like a little pavilion.
We have used all these fixtures many times in our installations.