Marie Flanigan Interiors, Houston, Texas, www.marieflanigan.com
(1) What UECo light do you like to use the most and why?
So hard to choose! I think I would have to go with the Truxton. The craftsmanship behind the fixture is truly magnificent and I love the way the light source is elegantly hidden behind glass, diffusing the perfect amount of light into any space.
(2) Your six picks of favorite UECo lights?
1. The Truxton has a special way of making any space feel more glamorous. 2. Huntley for its sleek and sophisticated beauty and its ability to appear dramatically different with each finish. I also love how it's streamlined appearance feels both classic and contemporary. 3. CHP is timeless and incredibly chic. 4. The Gwenwood Hang is making its way into many of our projects for its ability to add a dose of sophisticated elegance to any room. 5. The Brompton's details are breathtaking. It is the epitome of refined masculinity. 6. The Tilt is the perfect choice when you're looking for a little something unexpected. It offers the perfect mix of quirky and refined.
(3) What is your design philosophy?
Our design philosophy is truly about creating timeless interiors through architecture, authenticity and simplicity. Our goal is to bring beauty into each space in the hopes of improving the quality of life and the way our clients live and work.
(4) What is something people many not know about your firm?
Many people are surprised to hear that my education is rooted in architecture. When I am working on a design, I always take the home's architectural details into consideration. I want to ensure that there is synergy between the home's structure and interior.
(5) What is your favorite part of a home to design and why?
I love designing kitchens as they are truly the “heart” of a home. People gravitate to kitchens both in their day-to-day private lives as well as when they're entertaining, making kitchens one of the most communal spaces we design. Architecture meets interior in a very special way in the kitchen and the marriage of form and function is critical. Circulation, lighting, texture and scale come together to truly impact the daily lives of everyone who lives in the home, and I love bringing such an important space to life.
(6) Three design resources you can’t live without?
1st Dibs, Pinterest, Instagram!
(7) Best design tips you have learned from experience?
Don't get too comfortable. Dare to take risks and try new things! Continue to stretch your knowledge and skill set. I find myself constantly learning and trying new things, and I believe that makes me a stronger designer and industry leader.
(8) What do you collect?
I live by the "less is more" philosophy which means you won't often find me collecting things. I do however fill my home with a well curated grouping of accessories and precious objects that tell my family's story and that hold special meaning to me and my loved ones.
(9) What are your favorite paint colors to use?
I love saturated neutrals and colors that remind me of nature. Whites, greys, navys and greens are our firm's go-to hues! Lately, I've been using a lot of gem tones for a bright and welcome splash of color.
(10) What are your favorite design books?
Nancy Braithwaite: Simplicity, Atelier AM: Interiors, Thomas O’brein: AERO, Victoria Hagan: Interior Portraits, Bobby Mcalpine & Susan Ferrier: Art of the House, Suzanne Kasler: Timeless Style.