Hillary Thomas Designs, San Francisco, California, www.hillarythomas.com
(1) What UECo light do you like to use the most and why?
I love the simplicity of the Melissa Quartz Sconce. It’s understated and chic, making it perfect for a variety of spaces.
(2) Your six picks of favorite UECo lights?
(3) What is your design philosophy?
Don’t take it too seriously! Design is supposed to be fun and reflect who you are and the things you like. I’m all about creating spaces that are beautiful but that hold up to the wear and tear of everyday life.
(4) What is something people many not know about your firm?
We relocated our office from LA to San Francisco a year ago and now have a little storefront on Sacramento Street. It’s the perfect location and we love it!
(5) What is your favorite part of a home to design and why?
Powder Rooms are so fun because you can pack a lot of punch into a tiny space. I like to call it the “jewel box” of a house.
(6) Three design resources you can’t live without?
Pinterest, Instagram, and print magazines.
(7) Best design tips you have learned from experience?
Bigger is better when it comes to almost anything – lighting, pillows, artwork. Scale is so important for creating a big impact in a space.
(8) What do you collect?
Vintage lamp finials. And coffee table books, of course.
(9) What are your favorite paint colors to use?
I’m a fan of all Farrow & Ball’s blues. The perfect white is Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore, so bright & crisp!
(10) What are your favorite design books?
Lately I’ve been digging thru Steven Gambrel’s “Time and Place” – he has such an amazing eye. Also, Slim Aarons’ books never cease to inspire.